Emily Sisson's Marathon Nutrition Plan
Dinner the night before:
- For her pre-race dinner, Emily pairs a carbohydrate with lean protein: like rice or pasta with chicken or salmon
- She keeps it basic. The night before the race, Emily cuts back on high fiber foods and focuses instead on easy-to-digest food.
- In addition to a balanced meal, Emily drinks UCAN Energy Powder and Hydrate on the nights leading up to her race to build a solid foundation of carbohydrates and electrolytes.
- Emily’s pre-race breakfast consists of two slices of toast with almond butter. And she can’t forget a cup of coffee!
- For fuel, she drinks 1 serving of Tropical Orange UCAN Energy Powder mixed with water leading up to the race.
- She sometimes also takes a Strawberry Banana UCAN Edge energy gel before toeing the start line.
- Emily drinks 1 serving Tropical Orange UCAN Energy Powder mixed with water every 10K.
- Emily makes a shake with 1 serving of Cocoa UCAN Energy + Protein Powder mixed with oat milk immediately after the race.
- She has a full meal with more protein and carbohydrates a few hours after she finishes running.
Try a mix of the UCAN products that Emily uses to fuel and hydrate in training and on race day with the UCAN Trial Pack!
Emily’s Long Run Tips:
Wake up early to beat the heat!
Hydrate with electrolytes before, every four miles, and after finishing your run.
Choose run locations that offer a good amount of shade to keep cool, especially in the summer months.
For the first few miles, warm up slowly and run at a comfortable pace. Then once you feel relaxed, you can pick up your pace for the remaining miles of your long run.